Charles A. Fitzpatrick, III focuses his practice in defending medical malpractice, nursing home liability, pharmaceutical and catastrophic injury cases. He is a member of the bar of Pennsylvania and is admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
Charles is a native Philadelphian and a graduate of St. Joseph’s Prep, 1965; St. Joseph’s University, 1969; and, the Law School of the University of Pennsylvania, 1976. He served in the United States Navy from 1969 to 1972, achieving the rank of Lieutenant. He served with the Riverine Forces in Vietnam in 1970-1971, and was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal with Combat V and the Combat Action Ribbon.
He served as law clerk to The Honorable Edmund S. Pawelec in the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County. Since 1980, he has defended catastrophic injury and medical malpractice cases. He has tried over 125 cases to verdict.
He is a member of the Defense Research Institute, the Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel, the American Board of Trial Advocates, the American Bar Association and Pennsylvania Bar Association.
He has lectured extensively to attorneys and physicians concerning the law of medical malpractice.
Mr. Fitzpatrick has been rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell. He has achieved Martindale-Hubbell’s AV Preeminent rating in 2017 for the 34th consecutive year. Charles was listed in the 2013 edition of Top Attorneys in Pennsylvania and the 2012 edition of Philadelphia’s Top Rated Lawyers. He was named a Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer” by Law & Politics 13 times in succession from 2004 through 2016.
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
University of Pennsylvania (J.D., 1976)
St. Joseph's University (B.A., 1969)
Defense Research Institute
Pennsylvania Bar Association
American Bar Association
The American Board of Trial Advocates
The Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel
- The Legal Intelligencer, April 29, 2016: Court Rejects Data Breach Lawsuit Against Health Plans
- Charles Fitzpatrick speaks at Phila. Bar Assn. Medical Legal Committee CLE event March 18, 2016
- Rawle’s Reports, June 2015: Attorneys selected as Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- Rawle’s Reports, Feb. 2015: Pennsylvania, Medical Malpractice—$19.5 Million Jury Verdict Vacated
- The Legal Intelligencer, Nov. 24, 2014: PA Superior Court Throws Out $19.5M Med Mal Verdict
- Rawle’s Reports, Volume 18, Number 6
- Rawle’s Reports, Volume 18, Number 1
- Rawle’s Reports, Volume 17, Number 7
- Rawle’s Reports, Volume 16, Number 7
- Rawle’s Reports, Volume 15, Number 6